Adobe Flex development environment typically provides Flex developers similar tools and asset types that the Flex developers work with to create Flex applications.
Files for Configuration
Flex developers should be familiar with the type of configuration they need for developing the environment they are planning to develop. Adobe Flex Software Development Kit (SDK) provides the files for the settings so that the Flex developer can use in XML format.
The default compiler options for the compiler are defined by the lex-config.xml file and this need not be separately done by the Flexprogrammer developing the environment.
The messaging and data management settings, Adobe Flash player settings, the heap size of JVM, and logging and cache settings too can be altered by the Flex programmers in addition to the alterable configurations of server and compiler.
Functionalities of Compilers
A Flex programmer developing an environment is provided with both application compilers and component compilers by Adobe Flex. The application compiler can be used by Flex developers to compile SWF files from MXML and other source files. From the component files the Flex programmers can compile the SWC files using the component compiler. According to each Flex developer’s needs the SWC files can be used either as dynamic or static libraries with the Flex applications used by the Flex programmer.
Forms of Application Compiler
The application compiler is present in the below forms which the Flex developers can use:
- Adobe Flex builder project compiler. The Flex Builder Project compiler is opened for Flex programmers by Flex Builder for library projects in Flex.
- mxmlc command-line compiler. Flex developers can open the mxmlc command-line compiler from the command to create a SWF file that can be deployed to a website by the Flex programmers.
- Web-Tier Compiler. The Flex module for Apache and IIS compiler provides web-tier compilation of MXML files on Apache and IIS web servers for the Flex developers. This enables the Flex programmers to effortlessly and quickly compile, deploy and test your applications. Flex developers can simply refresh the MXML files in their browsers instead of compiling the MXML file into a SWF file and then deploying it and its wrapper files directly to the web servers.
Forms of Component Compilers
The component complier is also present in different forms from which the Flex programmers can choose and use:
- Flex Builder library project compiler. The Flex Builder component compiler is opened by Flex Builder for Flex library projects.
- compc command-line compiler. You open the compc compiler from the command line to create SWC files. You can use these SWC files as static component libraries, themes, or runtime shared libraries (RSLs).
Types of Debugger
Flex developers run the application SWF files in a web browser or the stand-alone Flash Player to test the application for bugs and/or errors. If a Flex developer finds errors in the application debugging tools can be used to set and manage breakpoints in the code written for the application.
Flex developers can avail the following debugging tools from Flex:
- Flex Builder Debugger – This aspect of debugging from Flex provide the Flex programmers all the efficient tools expected from a robust and a competent development tool.
- The fdb command-line debugger – The fdb uses the technique of command-line debugging where the Flex developers and Flex programmers can step into the code, and analyze and debug the application.
- AIR Debug Launcher (ADL) - ADL is a command line debugger for Adobe® AIR™ applications that you can use outside of Flex Builder.
These are tools should be analyzed and understood by all Flex programmers before they start developing any kind of environment using Flex.
DCKAP (www.dckap.com) is a Fremont, CA based global technology Services Company delivering technology driven business solutions that meet the strategic objectives of the clients. Founded in 2005, with offices in California & Colorado, USA, the UK, Australia and a development center in India, DCKAP has earned appreciation from well respected Fortune 100 companies for its competent services.